Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why I am "Pro-US Military"

allrighty. The facts are these: I have a brother in the U.S. Navy. I have been involved with in-depth discussions about the psychology of a U.S. soldier during wartime, although I am no psychologist myself. I'm not talking about war in general, just the U.S. armed forces in general.

Last quarter I took a class -- Visual Anthropology. Virtually everyone in the class was a photo or film/animation major, so we had a lot of liberal opinions, a few conservative ones, and a few wacky ones, as per any class populated by mostly art majors. When the topic of joining the army came up, (looking at advertisements for the various branches of the military), the class was mostly united in crying brainwash, entrapment, deciept, falsification, and pretty much everything else that usually accompanies American marketing strategies. This, of course, sparked a discussion about recruitment techniques, which led to a conversation about conscription, free will, and the questioning of whether there should be recruitment for the military at all. Frankly, those couple days that we talked about these things I left the class feeling really discouraged. I'll tell you why:

I looked around at the people in my class, and at myself, and wondered what any of us has really ever had to sacrifice. How many times have we placed ourselves completely and utterly at someone else's service? How many times have we griped and complained about the obedience and respect we owe to our teachers or parents, sometimes disregarding our duty in that sense alltogether? When was the last time we disciplined ourselves to the point of depriving our flesh of something it craves in order to better an aspect of our own life? When was the last time we fought for something with everything we had inside of us... something completely apart from our own ambitions and desires? And when was the last time we genuinely thanked those who provide for us to live in the country with one of the highest standards of living in the world? *note: we were number 12 in 2008!

Convicted: check.

The principles that I saw both in the ads for the military (like the ones that accompany most movies in the theatre these days) and in the recruitment of my brother to the Navy (although he did most of the searching and research himself) were obedience, humility, service, and basically living through what is admittedly a horrific experience for a purpose larger than yourself. This was backed up by my brother's experience with boot camp. First off, boot camp for any branch of the military is horrible. The recruits are dehumanized, screamed at, held accountable for the actions of almost complete strangers, and deprived of sleep. Very quickly, they learn to stick together and unite underneath their drill seargent and do EXACTLY as their told. They're forced into a state of being that almost no one in their right minds would place themselves. They trust their lives and their health to people they've never met, regardless of their reasons for enlisting. They hold each other up and accountable. My brother was in charge of making sure his division could meet their academic requirements. He quizzed them on protocol to prepare them for their tests. Just one example.

My point here is that military training does more than provide the manpower to run the United States' War effort. I'm not trying to belittle the horrors of war and the mental, physical, and emotional scarring that results from battle. But if anyone I knew were seriously considering joining up, I'd be all for it. I believe that the men and women in our military are some of the most self-sacrificing and admirable individuals in our country, and the principles that go into their training would serve most in our generation incredibly well.

3 comments:

  1. Rock on -- I agree. There's a line I like from a movie called The '60s: "We're not against the soldiers; we're against the war."

    I think soldiers are undervalued/underrespected in society, mainly because they *are* seen as the government's drones, but it really shouldn't be that way because the fact that they exist allows us to ensure that our daily lives don't get disrupted. The recruiting effort does have its dark spots in terms of how minorities/low-income people/non-citizens might be targeted and enticed into service, but ultimately, yeah, it is someone's personal choice and conscription - thankfully - isn't necessary at this point.

    Your brother should be commended, Val, and your family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm stuck with some sort of double standard that I'm not sure how to rectify.

    I am grateful for the sacrifice of the men and women who protect and have protected our nation,* and I admire their self-sacrifice. I do wonder how many are drawn into military service out of obedience, humility, honor, etc, and how many are there for a free education? But that's probably just me being ignorant and cynical.

    But more perplexing is that my faith in a completely-self-sacrificial Jesus -- a Lord who did nothing to defend himself, but submitted even to death on a cross -- has led me to some form of pacifism that I haven't completely defined yet. Yes, he did turn over tables, and yes, he will return at the head of a big army and wipe out evil. So I'm not certain of these things. But I can say that the idea of carrying a loaded gun with the intent of using it to kill, even as part of a military action, is competely detestable to me.

    But this is a conundrum. Does our nation need a military? Yes. Absolutely. Do I think that we can justify military service as Christians? I'm not so sure. I know that I myself could not do it.



    *There are two questions here: (1) Are any current US military efforts actually protecting us? and (2) is the US (particularly the high standard of living that you referenced) worth protecting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm. you raise good questions about recruitment that I think are important in some sense, (as in, the motivation for joining), and I don't think questioning motives is ignorant or cynical at all! because, honestly, I don't think it really matters all that much. If someone joins up for the free education, more power to them! Because your reasoning does not get you out of how you need to act and who you are placing yourself under. No matter why someone does it, they still get the same training as everyone else, and they're still held to the same accountability. Think about a Non-Christian going on a missions trip. Can (or should!) someone who is not motivated by the Holy Spirit or the compassion of Jesus be in that kind of situation with other Christians if they are held to the same standards of behavior as the other christians on that trip? Sometimes, I think this can be the greatest witness to Christ of all. Think about how much opportunity God can have in someone's life who is surrounded by Christians sharing the love of Jesus in a real and active sense!

    I am with you with the dichotomy that seems to be military service and pacifism. I don't really have an answer to those questions. I actually do not believe that our "right to comfort" as a nation (which is how I'm interpreting our high standard of living) should be thought of as a necessity worth protecting with the lives of soldiers. I'm saying we should look at all the other things we are able to have rights to thanks to our military. I also don't think there are many who come with the intention of killing others, and I don't think that going to War is something that our government takes lightly. I look at it as putting your trust in the people in authority over you, and our soldiers do that to the point of being willing to kill for them.

    I'll have to think about this more though.

    ReplyDelete